Crows Wood

The Elder Scrolls Online Press Summit: YOUR Character Development

October 22nd, 2012 Posted by News Archive 136 comments

ArgonianGroup 600x337 The Elder Scrolls Online Press Summit: YOUR Character Development
The Elder Scrolls IP has always been known for changing the conventional styles of most RPGs. Whether it be the large fully interactive world, in-depth game mechanics such as spell crafting and alchemy, or shaping the way you played your character, The Elder Scrolls Online will continue to push the barriers of the genre to new levels.

Choosing your class

While MMOs allow you to chose a class and then moves you along your path, the classes in TESO are more of a “springboard.” While your class defines the skills in which your character will be able to use, it does not hinder you from choosing “how you play your world.” One thing to point out is no matter what class you choose, ANY class can use all weapons and armor types. You are not restricted by your class to just cloth armor or medium leather. A healer can use the heaviest armor with the largest warhammer in Tamriel – and not be hindered by the choice.

The normal Health, Magicka and Stamina trees are present in this game, and depending on which path you focus on during leveling will grant you specific perks along your adventures. For example: after putting a couple of perk points in the Magicka tree, it not only increases the Magicka available for you to use, but it also grants you a bonus against Magicka damage. The way in which you spend your skill points will affect the type of gameplay you choose down the road. Obviously someone with high Health might end up focusing more on tanking, while someone with high Magicka will focus on skills and weapons that use that pool.

During the media summit there were two playable classes: Templar and Dragonknight. The Dragonknight was your agressive, melee oriented character, adept at dealing damage in large quantities quickly. Your Templar was a mixture of damage and healing, sort of paladin-esque. This game had some skills that were also granted bonus damage based on your stamina, thus giving you a reason to add points into your path-trees. Other classes will be in the game such as a Sorceror, Warden and Nightblade to name a few.
DunmerStonefalls 300x187 The Elder Scrolls Online Press Summit: YOUR Character Development

Playing the world your way

This is a common mantra from the development team and something that is at the heart of The Elder Scrolls  as a whole. While there is no “skill tree” as we know in the modern MMO, there will be branches of your development that you choose to play your way. For example, when you gain a certain level, a new skill might open that prompts you to make a choice. You can choose a path that will be more DPS heavy, or you can choose a path that is more defensive. This type of development has been hinted at in other games, but not nearly this in depth.

As stated earlier, each class can use any and all weapon types in this game. Whether you want to be a mage who is proficient with a Bow when he needs to be, or a tank who specializes in two-handed swords, you have no restrictions placed on you. That is the major idea behind how you play your character: No restrictions. You play the way you want to and the game follows suit.

Choosing your weapon

Weapons in The Elder Scrolls series have always defined your playstyle, and not the class you choose. Sword carrying players will undoubtedly be more of a close-range attacker, where a person who specializes in Mage’s staffs will tend to stick close to the back of a group. Your weapon choice in TESO will define your character and not the class you choose. Nick Konkle, Zenimax’s Gameplay Lead, put it best when he said: “Towards the end of the game you’ll find that the character you’re playing is nothing like what you started out with.” Potentially the character you customized will be nothing like what you originally created. The example he gave was going back to the Templar. While the Templar is envisioned to be a heavy armored damage dealing class, your weapon and armor choices can change that character into a robe-wearing magicka user.

Each class is not set up to have an advantage over the other when using a weapon, rather they will be different for each class.  As you use these weapons, as previously stated in articles already released  your proficiency will increase as you use that particular weapon. As you level your weapon, you will also unlock new skills to effect how you use that weapon. These skills will level independently from your normal class skills, and will change depending on the weapon you are currently using.

Crows Wood 600x375 The Elder Scrolls Online Press Summit: YOUR Character Development

Planning your development

Taking into account the highly customizable nature that weapons and armor give you, as well as the attributes you obtain through leveling up either Health, Magicka and Stamina, you begin to understand the scope in which TESO allows you to make the character that is only limited by the player’s imagination. This is also prominently featured via an intuitive interface that helps you strategize on path you want to take.  Each weapon type is listed in its own window, complete with drop down menus with a horizontal tree that shows, at the corresponding weapon level, each skill you will earn and even at what point the weapons skills split to become more role specific. This will help the player decide what they want to focus on and start to move their weapon proficencies and focus towards that goal.

Conclusion

Character development in games is one of the major sticking points of a great title, and is also one thing The Elder Scrolls  have consistently done right. The developers have created something fresh and revolutionary with the implementation of this mechanic, as is the only way to make an Elder Scrolls game. As time moves on this will only become more refined and polished, creating one of the most unique –  and gratifying experiences in the gaming industry to date.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Kevin says:

Sounds great so far :D

1 Question, are there gonna be other races ? The picture on top is showing some Argonian/Orc peopil

There are 9 races! :) Stay tuned for more info

BindersFull says:

This was confirmed previously, all 10 TES races are playable in the game, Argonian, Khajiit, Redguard, Breton, Orc, Dunmer, Altmer, Bosmer, Imperial, Nord

On top of all the new info that we have, its always good to recall one or two things we already know. Its like coming home :)

BindersFull says:

Or, perhaps the Imperials are not playable because they are allied with Molag Bal?

Skrofler says:

Indeed, Cyrodiilans will not be playable. They are the enemy scum, as always.

enderssasin says:

only nine races are playable since each faction/aliance has three races in it, imperials will be computer controled chracters

Tyler Dernell says:

Imperial’s are not playable races, they don’t fit into the Lore, there is 3 races per Faction, The Aldmeri hosting an expected set; Altmer, Bosmer, and the Splendid Khajjit. The Ebon-Heart Alliance hosting the most controversial set; Nord, Dunmer, Argonian. Then of course, finally the Daggerfall Covenant, Sporting my Favorite Race; Breton’s along with the Redgaurd, and Contracted Orcs.

I believe from what I’ve seen the Imperials have not yet been established as a race, either that or they are the Protagonist’s centered out of Cyrodil.

Hope this helps.

It seems as though since the Imperials have allied with Molag Bal, this makes them the antagonists of the story, hence why they are unplayable.

gilligan2009 says:

they are all Argonian for the record.. and this is insanely cool I really hope to get into the beta!

More to come, don’t worry. This isn’t the only piece of info we have for the event :)

Ewan says:

Will we be able to craft our own spells like in oblivion?
I was really disappointed when they dint add this function to Skyrim

Payton says:

are there going to be a lot more different armor types than there was on skyrim? for instance will there be an armor associated with each race? and maybe some different variants of that armor? like maybe light dwarven or something

John says:

So it says that u get different skills as you level up each weapon type. So assuming your class has healing spells does that mean you could switch between roles by changing your weapon and the active skills you set? Like being a tank when you have a sword equipped, then switch your active skills and be dps or healer with a mace equipped?

Tyler Dernell says:

Likely, it’s going to be Just how the Single-player installments played, whatever weapon/skill/spell you choose to use, whatever skill tree that falls under will gain levels.

enderssasin says:

light and heavy armour is a definate, medium is a possibility, and there will be the ordinary armour sets like leather and orcish armour as well as glass and dadric, but no dragon armour due to lack of dragons

Elementis says:

I am honestly quite scared for the future of TES.

an online game to a one player genre company is a huge risk.

Now, not that im saying risks are bad, but this can only turn out one of two ways:

It will either flourish and become a massive gaming cornerstone

Or it will flop badly.

Welcome to the world of MMOs. They all go one of two ways, we’re confident this game is going to change the way you think of MMOs! See you in game! :)

Skrofler says:

It’s not the same company. TES Online is being developed by Zenimax Online while Bethesda will continue working on TES 6. They are both owned by the same company though but I don’t think Betehsda’s budget will suffer if TESO flops.

Holeevyer says:

As Skrofler said, a huge fail from TESO (I highly doubt it will happens) will in no way affect the main series future releases since they are conceived by two differents studios under one parent company/publisher.

Izek Miller says:

if it does flop, they aren’t stopping the single player games, and the fans will at least shut up about the lack of multiplayer.

Jordan says:

OMG, can’t wait!

UnSafeGunner89 says:

have a question will this game be free to play or will you have to pay for it or is it like most MMO’s that i play you can play the game free but if you want really good stuff you will have to pay for it

As of now no subscription model has been announced.

enderssasin says:

I think that you will need to pay for the game and then you get everything

Rokurou says:

It would be pretty retarded if it was completely free, Of course it isn’t. I’m pretty sure it’ll be like paying for skyrim a 60$ purchase and no more payments afterwards, Except maybe for DLC

Aderock says:

Not likely, its an MMO and first and foremost a business. With the extremely large budget they have and with the biggest MMO on the market being a P2P. It will probably be that, if it isn’t I would be extremely surprised.

Ninjaic-Armor-User-Nightblade says:

I have a question, will there be “evasion” in this game for like light/cloth armor, like DDO? just wondering, because heavy armor is too clunky and noisy!

Ninjaic-Armor-User-Nightblade says:

oops, ment to put that comment on the bottom :3

Saito says:

Will water be static or swim-able, because in mmos its mostly static, and swimming in water is just awesome.

In the hands on demo we played this weekend, you were able to swim in the water.

enderssasin says:

and in the video that explained stuff about TESO there was a small scene where a group jumped into water and swam

KYLE says:

Will this be on all platforms?

Kyle, as of now, the game is only being developed for PC and Mac, but TESO’s twitter recently said that they aren’t against exploring the other gaming platforms out there. You can be sure once that news breaks we will have it here on ESOTR!

John says:

Please, NO consoles. Consoles dumb down games due to thier limitations. PC’s can have massive amounts of RAM and diskspace and GPU power and processing power. If you limit it to what the Xbox and PS3 can do, you will really be putting a cap on what the game can do.

“SAY NO TO CONSOLES”

Jerod says:

This will kill me. I am a faithful console user as it seems that if you don’t drop $$$$ into a pc it won’t keep up. I don’t see why it couldn’t be adapted for the ps4 as that will be coming out late 2013. Especially as it would almost double the amount of people that would buy and play.
Truly I would love to play this game while relaxing in front of my 60in and yelling into my mic.
Thanks,
Jerod

Dexex says:

NO NO NO NO, i do like my consoles but PC is the only way. if you cant afford a PC (but i see you can afford the new PS4 and 60″ TV with mic) less gaming and more getting a better job.
Also their are never any “Good” F2P MMO’s people are just going to have to remember they are a business which can make an awesome game for the right price, you get what you pay for, A cheap game = cheap game play.
If you can afford $10-$20 a month, you probably can’t afford the internet to play the game in the first place.

Mraak says:

“Hi, I’m Mukluk”
“Yes, I can see that’s your avatar of choice, but you don’t sound like an orc. You sound like a 12 years old choir boy”

And that, or a version thereof, is how every single RP encounter will play out on a console.

I don’t always side withe the Consoles Dumb Down Games advocates – but when I do, it’s usually because 99,99% of the playerbase are terrible voice actors.

Eddie says:

Will there be versions for Xbox 360 or PS3?

EtaYorius says:

Did you guys fixed the proportions of the characters? i remember the first screens characters that look straight from WoW with Gorilla sized hands, i see a much more realistic character design… keep it as close to Skyrim art and you will have TONS of success.

No one likes cartoony disproportionated characters, thats so WoW.

Payton says:

etayorius is 100% correct there keep it realistic feeling not cartoonish kid looking stuff

Charles says:

Please. READ and accept that comment. It would be DISAPPOINTING to have a cartoonish game. In my mind Skyrim engine + massive online playing would just do the trick.

Mark says:

I can’t wait to see Telvanni mushrooms again :)

Mr.Roberto says:

I want a Telvanni mushroom for my guild HQ.

Will says:

What I would like to know is, when will there be a beta, I’ve tried to help Bethesda and Zenimax in many ways as a gamer and community member for years now and would really love to get a hands on approach and assist in a beta. Do you know if there are any plans for one?

We were told there would be a beta. I’m sure they’ll live up to that promise. No idea when it’ll be though

Sam says:

I don’t play MMO’s… this is what I have been waiting for to play an MMO and why TES appeals to me.

I will see you in game.

You WILL see us in game, because there will only be 1 MEGA server! :)

Tristen says:

NO WAY! Really? That’s beast!

FaliusAren says:

I thought there will be USA and Europe servers, like they said in one of the news?

enderssasin says:

yeah there will be one for america, one for europ ect

Insane On Fire says:

Yeah, there will.

Svanur says:

Wow…I was actually doubting this game from the beginning but the more i read the more i like. I’m not gonna keep my hopes up but i can’t help but to hope that TESO will give me that certain feeling i’m looking for in an MMO ^^

We played the game for hours…and we felt like we were playing Skyrim, only as an MMO

Michael says:

^^
This is what I wanted to hear. That comment alone has me hugely hyped for this game.

Thanks for that Evarwyn!

UnSafeGunner89 says:

i would like to thank you guys for answering my question it seem that unlike most blog sites you never get a answer when you need one i think i will be coming here more often

Thank you for your kind words, we truly appreciate that!

izayoi says:

Like many others I’ve been extremely sceptical of TESO ever since the announcement. But like some others, I find myself more and more intrigued the more I hear about it.

I hope they get it right, where oh so many others have failed.

Joel says:

For the extra armor rating

Baran says:

Hello! I didn’t quite understand what you mean there.. Wearing cloth armor as a healer increases your armor rating more than wearing heavy armor or is it the opposite way? Because if so, I repeat the question : ‘If heavy armor doesn’t hinder your healing ability, why would anyone wear light armor/robes?’

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your analysis on this upcoming intriguing game.

I think what he meant was the armor ratings and perks would cause you to want to wear lesser armor. Same as in the other TES titles. There are advantages and disadvatanges to wearing certain armor. Your class and play style won’t hinder th type of armor you wear though. Normally, for example, healers and mages could ONLY wear cloth armor, but with TES a healer or Mage could wear heavy if they so choose.

More remains to be revealed how exactly this will work in the long run, and I’m there will reasons to wear light or medium armor over heavy in some play styles. The fact of the matter is the developers do not want to restrict you based on class or style.

Hope that helped and thanks for reading!

Baran says:

Oh, right… Now I get it. Thank you !

sandul says:

I know that in Skyrim, a mage has spells like dragonflesh (or something similar) and will give him a great boost to armor rating but the catch is, they can’t be wearing any armor except cloth.

enderssasin says:

also heavy armour slows you down and makes more noise ,it also causes you to use more stanima

Lygo says:

I do think that no mather what armour you would like to choice you could allways enchant it pretty decent if you have someone that will be good att blacksmithing and enchantment I guess ^^ so it’s not inposible for anyone to lose majorly depending on armour style i guess =P

Eve says:

I have never played an MMO, mostly because I’m cheap and don’t like subscriptions. But I absolutely love TES. TESO is probably going to be my first MMO. Can you play with a friend? Since it is one server for the US can you meet a friend at a certain location and complete quests together? I now it talks about teaming up when doing dungeons. Looking forward to this game!

Yes! That is actually the thinking behind the one mega server concept. You no longer will have to plan on creating a character on one server for one friend, another character on another server for another friend, ESO will have everybody playing on that same server. MMOs are about that social interaction and Zenimax is taking that to a new level.

Eve says:

Thanks! I’m really looking forward to that aspect. I adore ES and wanted to play it with friends. I am a little nervous about PvP, again because I’ve never done MMO’s and I worry that sometimes certain players can be rude about playing.

POINTxBL8NK says:

Unless they have zones where unsanctioned PvP is allowed, you won’t HAVE to PvP. It seems from the information they’ve been giving out that the Cyrodiil area is going to be the main PvP Battleground, whereas the rest of the world is going to be PVE. As for playing with friends, hopefully it will be as simple as getting your friend’s in-game character name, adding it to your friend list, and finding a place to meet up and go from there.

enderssasin says:

dont worry its about 220 players in a pvp battle and you cant comunicate with the enemy team

Dovah says:

Don’t worry I’m sure there will be plenty of rudeness

Verkaur says:

WOW! at first at kinda thought that it would be like the most MMOs and that it would fail. But this really changed my mind! This really sounds like an Elder scrolls game! but i have a question. how will the battle interface be? will it be more like “world of warcraft” and “D&D” or do they have a whole new battle experience? and will you only be able to play in 3rd person on also in 1st as the original TES games?
And will it cost monthly or one time?

otherwise it sounds like a real awsome game! and i really can’t wait to play it!!

POINTxBL8NK says:

From what it looks like, the fighting style is going to be similar to the Oblivion and Skyrim games where you have to time your attacks, blocks and dodges and actually have to aim at your enemy to hit it. No more “lock on and face-roll your keyboard” combat system, I hope!

enderssasin says:

it will be one time payment,you can change to 1st person but default is third person,combat interface will be five abilitys asighned to the 1,2,3,4,5 keys,

scott v says:

They announced that the game has alot of phasing with your completion of quests. And also told us there will be a questionaire how we want to play, like by ourselfs or with others. Is it like WoW or SWTOR where you can see everyone else in the game if your in a starter zone or a main city? Or do you toggle it on or off?

Fraser says:

Some devs said that if you want to, you will be able to play the game without seeing another player at all

Derek says:

I love how ppl posting on here are new to MMOs lol…guys just look up the definition and you’ll be updated.

Remember Massive Multiplayer lol

I love that they are starting with one huge mega server for those who have never experienced and MMO. Most have several servers and then if the game starts to fail later on they merge into a huge server which can cause massive back lash. With it being from the start everyone can be together and trust me it’ll be blood shed all around since no one can just transfer to another server lol….can’t wait. This game and Blade and soul are the ones Im really looking forward to.

RichardJ says:

I so excited for TESO, been playing TES for 15 years started with Daggerfal. TES was and always will be a superb game no matter the direction it takes. I would really love to be apart of the beta when it is available. Even if i cant be apart of the beta im sure i’ll enjoy the game either way. Huge fan of TES, Ill be watching for updates.:). Keep up the great work!!

Whаt’s up to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are fastidious for new visitors.

Elder says:

how is this whole thing? like the site? kinda nice. very informative. Very appreciated. And my faith in TES: O being a good game to grab was certainly helped by this site among others.
I don’t approve of the moderation however, but censorship seems to be standard fair these days.
I’d tell ya what got moderated, and why i suspect it was, but then i’d be moderated for something I shouldnt be,.. again. Hopefully my opinion doesn’t get this post killed to, cause I really would like you to know the site is nice >.>

Ewan says:

Will ther be craftable spells like in Oblivion? Or it only few spells like in Skyrim?

Daniel says:

Does anyone know if there is going to be a crafting system, and if so what that will entail?

Fraser says:

There is going to be a crafting system, but no info has been announced about it yet

Caius Cosades says:

I am very excited for the return of medium armor. Did they bring back any variants from Morrowind? Bonemold? Perhaps Dreugh? I know that Indoril is specific to that era but I guy can dream can’t he?

Nevarine says:

Caius Cosades how could you leave me to go to Cyrodil, everyone knew the Empire was failing! Well you were very useful and I hope you didn’t die protecting the king, you probably did. Well hope I can get this MMO because I have researched all of the TES and I am interested to know how this will be. Musthera.

Tristen says:

Is it possible to have multiple players? or at least be able to delete and then create a new player? I find that so often I become bored with my character and want to create a new one on the TES games and other MMOs.

Elder says:

i’ll try to blanket cover some of these questions floating around based on what I’ve read so far. If anyone has a more full/correct answer to any of these, by all means correct me.
1.) Will there be craftable spells? The easiest answer from what I can tell is “No”. That would be too overpowered and unbalancing. Instead, spells and abilites seem to be able to be speciallized and augmented(kinda like diablo 3?) from my understanding.
2.) Will medium armor be in the game? I think I read something that confirms this, but I could be mistaken.
2 1/2.) Return of armor from morrowind such as bonemold? Yes, I believe I saw a few things along those lines in screenshots. Also, since Morrowind is included in this TES release, it would be foolish not to. As to what precisely made it outside bonemold, hard to say at this time.
3.) Will there be crafting system? Absolutely,.. why wouldn’t there be? :-p
4.) Can I have multiple characters on one account? This is unconfirmed I think, but I would assume you could,… there really shouldn’t be any worry there.

Elder:

As far as we know there isn’t confirmation on the craftable spells. One of the things ZOS is keeping under wraps. We do know Alchemy will be in the game in some fashion, so one might assume they will be creating a way to craft spells (hopefully more along the Morrowind lines and not the Oblivion reincarnation of the mechanic) but until they announce it I would say “maybe.”

The other questions such as Medium armor, types of armor, etc are also unconfirmed as of yet, though there are rumors Bonemold will be apart of the next Skyrimg DLC.

We’ll let you know as soon as news breaks on the remainder of the questions, and thank you for compiling this! A lot of these questions were getting buried in the amount of comments on the site. Thanks again!

Elder says:

Well, im sure all regular crafting(armorer, enchanting and alchemy) is most definately in, no doubts on that.
Not to debate,.. but I find it highly unlikely to get craftable spells. There’s no feasable way to fit that in(but I would love it).
It conflicts with their base game design. It would take some serious thought and creativity to make it so skills and abilities can be upgraded and morphed as their skill increases and still allow the customiztion a craftable spell would allow.
The only way I see that happening is if they seperate the spell system from every other system completely or mostly.(which isnt a bad idea,.. I hope they do this) Spells should handle different than skills, yet execute exactly the same as skills and abilities in every MMO i have seen. TES O is trying to be different, so theres a chance…
so I suppose your right that its a maybe, I just wouldn’t hold my breathe.

Nightingale says:

When you said “separating systems” I had this wonderful idea. My idea is that the Lockpicking skill (the one from Skyrim) should be implemented in ESO, but it should be much more advanced. Instead of the simple lock and lockpick, you can blacksmith various types of locks, and the locks can have hidden traps and blocks to simply make lockpicking more difficult. There should also be different types of picks, such as a “sensor pick” that can be used to find the part of a lock that is moveable. Finally, the main bit that is inspired by your comment is that the lockpicking skill should be run by notes. If you read a book or are told by a lockpicking trainer a particular skill about lockpicking; your character writes a note about what you have learned. The note is then kept in the inventory and eventually (because you can compile the notes) you can create a book about what you have learned in lockpicking. This is important because the other part of my idea, is that lockpicking is completely manual. No skills are auto attributed to your character, you have to pay attention the the notes you take and how well you apply those skills is equivelent to how good you are at lockpicking. Please discuss my idea, is it good/bad/can it be improved?

Lygo says:

I like where your going with this outstanding idéa ^^
It would indeed be more intressting and rewarding to have such system to lookpicking =)
And that other proffesions aswell could have something similar for like alchemy so that you make healing potions and not posions instead that would be most amusing =P
and that would give a greater deep to designe for blacksmithing as well atleast leave some room for more costumisation aswell =D

Henry says:

I really hope this game kicks off to be a winner, because it looks AWESOME! and this is my favourite genre of game. BUT I just hope its not like Guild Wars 2, because that built me up loads then turned out to be good but then got a little boring. I really think you will get the right mix of questing like an RPG but also dungeoning and raiding like an MMO!

Chevalier says:

I hate MMOs. I wanted to like them, but they are always boring, and there seems to be no way to have fun unless you have a dozen or so friends to play with. I hope that ESO will keep in mind that so many TES players love to play Solo and make this game very adaptable to Solo players. Personally, even if I got my wife to play with me, she’d technically be against me, since I always play Nord and she always plays Breton. Hopefully, ESO can find a way to encourage team play during the battles even if you aren’t with friends.

Brad says:

I don’t have many friends who play TES. So will the game help people like me interact with other players like this so that everyone can experience fighting with a group?

Lygo says:

I do belive that the will implement same systems as most atleast new mmos that you will have atleast a “group/party/raid-finder” function and there will surely otherwice be the old school chat channels that could work well with finding another player that wll be more than likely willing to lend you a hand and if it gose well from there then a friendship could be evolved from that stage =P And there will be guilds that will more than likely take in any players to help each other out and try to make sure that we all can atleast try to enjoy TESO as respective individual seems fit ^^

[...] understood (NWN 2 and in some cases TSW) that it will drive players off. A very nice tutorial was described though, which I do believe will largely mitigate these [...]

Donnie says:

I plan on playing as an Argonian, though I have some reservations about their appearance. They don’t look very lizard-like, and I have say I’m much more accustomed to how they looked in Morrowind through Skyrim. There are also others who are responding negatively to the snout less version in TESO. The image on the top of the page, is that the final model?

Insane On Fire says:

I dont think thats the final model. Cuz i thought i saw a news or sumthing at elderscrollsonline.com that proved you can choose one of the race and customize their appearance just like in skyrim ( well… hopefully ). But i think the image you and i saw at the top of the page isnt the final model

Nitro says:

I’m curious about a few things

1) How is the UI? Is it set up like the typical MMO with spell bars and such, or will it be like Oblivion where you can select the spell you want to have active (I hope so!), or maybe even a cross breed between the two

2) I’d like to know more about the stealth system, I’m sure it wont have as OP of critical hits (especially bows), but I’m still curious as to how the stealth detection will be, and if your armor affects your stealth (heavy v. medium v. light)

3) I’ve been reading all of the posts for an hour or so, and I’m still unsure as to if there will be skill trees like Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind… or if it will be like WoW with the three (or four if youre a druid) specialties for the class…. I just don’t quite understand

4) Will the only real customization be the armor you choose, because from what I understand from previous TES they would have to create a ton of new armor sets to make people look different, or will you be able to alter your armor… (something like City of Heroes/Champions Online/DC Universe would be nice, except you would just alter colors, and maybe add certain things like the horns, spikes etc. not make everything from scratch)

Any clarification would be both helpful and make me want to cry because I’ll be even more excited and impatient for the release… :D

enderssasin says:

the class has absolutly nothing to do with what skills you choose and my bet is that it will be like skyrim where you chose to upgrade magica/health/stanima and you get a perk point to spend on what ever you want

Lygo says:

Well as for now there are not that much that we all have got to know of this game as it still haven’t reached beta jet ^^’
thou as i’ve understod it there will be
Magica / Stamina / Health “talent trees” and
the respective skill tress that we have in skyrim thou more eveloped I hope ^^
for now we will have to w8 for more from the developers =P
but to just take a guess we will be able to specialice in magica/stamina/health+spells/weapons+crafting proffecions and loockpicking and stuff like that ^^

Derrick says:

im a huge mmo gamer iv played everything from UO to GW2 now and im also a big Elder scroll fan im just wondering will i beable to own a house and maybe have some decoration options just wondering about that cause you just dont see that anymore in games like UO and ashrons call had and i always thought that was a nice feature

Jeremy says:

so just a quick question, do you think they would go as far as adding in pets and having the whole house concept in this?

Insane On Fire says:

I dont thnk so… ESO is mainly for fighting… right? ( somebody, if im wrong, plz correct me ) Its not for relaxing in a house or having a pet. ESO takes places in a thousand years before skyrim. And a war is occuring, so i dont think they will add house concepts in ESO. Thats just from a logical view but we dont know for sure until some news bout that is announced

tierney says:

im a fan of dcuo but i love skyrim, so i can honestly say i would bin dcuo for teso and not feel eny guilt what so ever, just hope the game will be every thing, we are all hoping it will be, and who kno’s maybe convert some of the hard core wow and dcuo players :D oh and any news on if and when its coming to ps3?

Insane On Fire says:

Dunno, just check this websites often for updates… like me :D or the official elder scrolls online website, i only know that the pc version of ESO will be released at next year ( 2013 )

Ljoker says:

Will each race have race-abilitys like the Argorians have waterbreathing, the Dunmer have resist fire and Ancestor’s wrath, and the Nords have Resist frost and Battlecry?

The release date for beta will be earlyer 2013 or near the end of 2013?

Insane On Fire says:

There is no articles bout beta… at all. Maybe they’ll announce later

Alec says:

The fact that our class determines which skills we get is absurd!

The whole point of The Elder Scrolls series is that I’m not restricted by some lame Everquest World of Warcraft class system.

This is not Elder Scrolls… It’s World of Tamriel… Or EverScrolls… Or The Elder Republic. It’s Guild Scrolls. It’s every other MMORPG that ever came out, only bigger, and with first person real time combat.

Ehh… Who am I kidding, I’m still gonna buy it.

Dovah says:

It is Elder Scrolls. Not Skyrim part 2

ViolatedMonkey says:

No classes does not limit skills. It is only a boost for skills. For example if you choose a mage class you can still get warrior skills and go the warrior path but it will take you a little while to get where all the other people who started out as a mage went

Rethas Othirus says:

I am going to run a Dunmer, spend the first fifty levels dragging Great House Telvanni kicking and screaming into the Ebonheart Pact. Then I’m going PVP, taking the top of the EP leaderboards, and dominating the Dominion and the Covenant.

Rethas Othirus, soon to be Bandit Emperor of Tamriel, reporting in.

Benjamin Stronghammer says:

still not sure why the ebonheart pact is the way it is…my people the nords(i dont care either way),hate both dunmer and argonians, so why am i in a pact with you. it should be Aldmeri Dominion:High Elf,Wood Elf,Dark Elf Ebonheart Pact:Nords,Orcs,Redguard Daggerfall Covenent:Breton,Argonian,Kajhiit

either way imma whup some A$$, my brother likes argonians and my best friend likes dunmer so it ends up working out for me.

Vhal Kane says:

I played SWG till it closed and the all the Elder Scrolls to date on Xbox. This ESO looks to have the very open ended world flavor that SWG had and the new Xbox Skyrim has. I do hope we can have houses/structures that we can load up with trophies from our conquests and decorate with collections of weapons and armors from ESO. My motto is “LIVE TO LOOT!”

Zeeow100 says:

making a clan if anyone is intrested

W1nt3rz says:

I’m so looking forward to this game as I’m a massive Skyrim fan and also played Oblivion back when it was released. I have played a few MMORPG’s including WOW over the years but I’m hoping TESO will be the one to advance the genre further.
I know from playing these sorts of games and Skyrim that sometimes when customizing your character with Perks or talent points you sometimes want to change it again later. I really hope the developers introduce some way to reset or change your Perks. I played Secret World on release and ended up creating about four different characters before finding one I was happy with.
I also think its a really cool idea what someone mentioned earlier around being able to set the game to play solo or in groups because there was nothing in WOW than having to group with a load of ignorant kids to complete a quest or dungeon. I also think it would be a great idea if like in Skyrim the enemies scaled to the level of the player or to the group so you could choose to run a dungeon solo or in a group if you wished. This has always been one of my pet peeve with other MMORPG’s, I would like to be able to decide weather or not to group with other people to complete dungeons and quests.

Hope this provokes more discussion.

Nevarine says:

Even if it isn’t all you want it to be, I heard TES 6 on this same page, If this isn’t, which it probably be very close, this is talking about the beta, not the real thing, and Bethesda always, aaaallllways has a trick up it’s sleeves.Muthsera.

Nils Andersson says:

When does the beta come out?

jacob says:

Finally I can become the heavy armored stealth mage argonian of my dreams!

Companion says:

I Love EVERYONE on here for being so interested in The Elder Scrolls Online (TESO). I can’t wait to see you all in the ebonheart pact… Hail your new Emperor Svengal Wolf-Kin The First!!!! lol

Urric says:

I think ESO will kick the base drum like its never been played, if we look to the MMO’s world, there has always been that one killer, blizzard’s favorite child in class, you know what im talking about, World of Warcraft, when this game came out, the warcraft storyline and games had already claimed a massive bunch of gamers to them, so when WoW came out, it all played out on nostalgia, and then it started spreading, the same is likely to happen with ESO, people who’ve played the elder scrolls series will want to go back to Tamriel, you probably had a favorite race in the elder scrolls series and that you wanted to see their homeland at some point but couldnt, now Bethesda give all these people an oppurtunity to do so, and that is exactly why ESO will pull people to a point where flies are attracted to light.

Question says:

I have a friend that lives in Canada while I live in UK… Would i still be able to play on the same server?

The Megaserver technology is broken up by continent, not country. North America and Europe will have separate servers.

*EDITED to clear up my lapse in brain activity.

Tyler says:

Joseph I hope you aren’t implying that Canada and the UK are part of the same continent… that would hurt your credibility.

Tyler says:

Oh no, I must’ve read the question too quickly and mistyped! WOW Thanks for pointing this out Tyler! (Though I am surprised it took this long for someone to point out my folly…)

Zimoon says:

Question: Will it be possible to change your build? In the sense that skill points or whatever may be swapped around for another “style”? Like easily going from “tank” to “ranged DPS”? Yes or nor?

If Yes, how will that work? Pros and Cons, please. Thanks in advance.

As far as we know, you can change your playstyle at any time. Now obviously if you work up proficiency in one weapon type and pick up another, you will be hindered until you build up that weapon, but it is possible. The nice thing about this is it allows you to play your way no matter what. The downside is that you will be starting from the beginning to get back to the skill you were previously at, if that makes any sense.

One example the devs use in their videos is this: Let’s say you are a warrior who kills a mob. That monster happens to drop a staff of healing. You are able to pick that weapon up and begin using it right away, and with each use your character gets better and more proficient with that weapon. However, you are sacrificing proficiency with the weapon you were using previously as a result. So finding a good balance between the playstyles you want to have is key in this game.

alex says:

I just hope they don’t make the mistake that I think they are going to make.

Pallas says:

I’m intrigued.. What Mistake?

Josh says:

What’s going on with the PvP area in cyrodill then? Will it be like set games and start and finishing times for battles? Or are we going to be able to go for a quick stroll through at any time we would like to slay some Orc?

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy.
I have read this publish and if I could I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing issues or advice.
Perhaps you could write next articles regarding this article.
I desire to read more issues approximately it!